Posted on
August 8th, 2015

Damp and Mould Could Be Making You Ill

Damp and mould are two of the most common household problems, yet most people fail to realise just how serious of an impact it can have on your health. Not only can it seriously worsen existing conditions such as asthma but it can also cause headaches, allergic reactions and even memory loss.

Mould and damp are caused by excessive moisture in the air which is often caused by poor ventilation or leaks in the home. Mould produces allergens and toxins which can sometimes be life threatening, especially to vulnerable people like children and the elderly.

If you notice a musky smell, peeling wallpaper, damp patches and salt stains, then your home is probably suffering from damp and/or mould. It is really important that you treat these as soon as you find them so that you can prevent any permanent damage on your house, as well as reducing the chance of getting ill.

There are a number of treatments available and which one you need will depend on the type of damp and mould occurring. Dampkits have a range of products available to help you treat rising damp, penetrating damp, condensation and surface mould.

It is also a good idea to introduce ventilation to your home to prevent the build-up of moisture in the air so that you don’t have to deal with damp or mould in the future. You should try to use extractor fans and open windows when you are cooking or showering to reduce the amount of condensation. Dehumidifiers also come in handy if you work or live in a humid environment and you struggle to prevent excessive moisture.

If you would like advice from the experts, please contact Dampkits directly! We would be happy to advise you on the best suited product and method of treatment for damp and mould in your home.

<<Back to Blog