Posted on
December 1st, 2016

Damp in Rented Properties

While living in a rented property there are many ways that your house could be affected by damp which includes:

Penetrating damp
Rising damp

To determine what type of damp is affecting your property, you will need to speak to your landlord about hiring a damp expert.

Penetrating Damp

Penetrating damp develops when water is entering the property from the outside. This could be caused by a leaking roof, cracked wall or rotten window frames. In any of these cases you will need to look at getting the fault repaired as quickly as possible.

Rising Damp

Rising damp is usually found in old properties where there is none or little damp proofing in the walls. It is caused by moisture from the ground travelling up through the cement, bricks and walls. This problem will probably require a damp proof treatment, as well as replacing any damaged skirting boards, wallpaper and plaster.


This is the most common household problem in rented properties. It appears when a cold surface, like windows, are hit by the moisture in the air. If the problem is caused by poor insulation or other structural problems, it will be down to your landlord fix. If it is because you simply aren’t ventilating your property properly, you will need to address this yourself.

What should you do?

Firstly, you should check your tenancy agreement to see what it says about repairs. In many cases, it is the landlord’s responsibility to fix damp problems, especially if it is putting your health at risk. If you are still unsure, speak to Citizens Advice who will be able to advise you.

Even if your tenancy agreement doesn’t say anything about their responsibility for the condition in your home, you should still act. This could include:

  • Improving ventilation
  • Installing insulation
  • Investing in a humidifier


If you would like advice about any of the problems mentioned above or you want to find out more about our treatments, please call 0845 400 6666 or email


<<Back to Blog