Posted on
September 25th, 2015

How to Keep Your Home Free From Damp and Mould

Damp and mould are two of the most common problems affecting households in the UK. These are not limited to houses, but also affect buildings like schools, offices and factories. Being exposed to damp and mould poses significant health risks, such as respiratory problems, skin irritation and breathing difficulties. It can also worsen existing conditions such as asthma and can cause serious health problems for the elderly, children and those with weak immune systems.

If you notice damp or mould in your home, it is essential that you act quickly. The longer you leave these, the more chance there is of permanent damage not only to the building, but also your own health.

But how do you know if your property is affected with damp or mould? You should have an idea when these occur in your home, as they have several tell-tale signs.  Damp is often caused by condensation, meaning that you will notice steamed up surfaces, wet patches on walls and damp floor tiles or skirting boards. If there is mould in your home, you may notice a musky odour and more obviously, mould growth.

There are several options available for treating damp and mould. These include damp proofing, paint additives, eradication kits and floor coatings. Which one you need will depend on the type of mould and damp, as well as the extent to which it is affecting your home. It is also important to improve the ventilation in your home, by opening windows when showering or cooking, which will help to prevent these problems coming back.

If you would like to find a stockist or speak to one of our experts, please call 0845 400 6666 or email

<<Back to Blog